22 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonB94

BrandonB94

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while. Who still uses Facebook or has ever used it? It seems that less and less people are using it these days. Do you think Facebook is for those of yesterday? And if so, what's the new social media site to gain everyone's attention?

Romans 8: 38 - 39 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

#2 TheeCrazyBethy

TheeCrazyBethy

Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArizona/California(depending on time of year)

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

A lot of people use things like Twitter, Pintrest(or whatever its called), and Insta-something or other. Fb is still very active....just not safe. Actually, it never has been safe. Some have told me that Fb is for the "older generation" now though. I disagree. 

"You are special.You are loved!A perfect reflection of heaven above.God makes no mistakes, you are a miracle story!" ~MMF

#3 Guest_Candace_*

Guest_Candace_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

My opinion is that facebook will fade out like myspace did. I think facebook is just a fad like everything else.

#4 ThankfulHeart Gael

ThankfulHeart Gael

Admin

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Facebook is a powerful info-gathering tool. You have to guard your privacy and constantly check your settings. It actually sort of creeps me out because it tracks what I search for on my computer and targets me with ads of products it thinks I will like.

What I dislike the most about it is that it chooses what will appear on your newsfeed. This is so frustrating because you see stuff you don't care about and you miss stuff that you wish you had seen.

I think greed will be the ultimate downfall of Facebook. They are constantly trying to get you to pay to boost a post or send a message to someone that is not on your friend list. I mean, seriously?

The young people I talk to seem to be mostly into Instagram and Twitter.

"Nothing can dim the light which shines from within." (Maya Angelou)

#5 Apostolicgirl=squeaky

Apostolicgirl=squeaky

Almost an Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

I still use Facebook on a daily basis however with all social media we must be very careful. We need to not only guard our personal info but guard our hearts, often times I will go through and delete people because they use rather colorful language.. This is my whole thought on whole social media as a whole!

• TheeCrazyBethy likes this

~Prayer Changes Things I am proof~ 

~God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!~

#6 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hm... Let me see. I have been active on Facebook (active meaning "checking daily" in this instance) since 2011, and my older sister for longer. A younger sister joined within the past year and checks monthly or less. My mom does not have an account, my Dad does but uses less than monthly. My five closest friends from college are all on Facebook and active daily, although one of them uses it in concord with Twitter and Instagram, and one of them uses it in concord with Tumblr. My grandmother is on Facebook and checking rarely, my aunt is on Facebook and checking often, my current church uses it for event announcements, and more than a dozen members of my former church and my former homeschool group use it with such enthusiasm that I can basically use it to follow their social lives. So yeah, I think it's still pretty active. :) And I have one of the smaller/more medium-sized friends lists among people I know! :)

Of course it has its pitfalls, as any place does, and I wouldn't want to see a lot of kids on there. But its a good place to chat, I like to see my friends' event photos, and its kind of interesting to see the number of perspectives my circle of acquaintances has on different issues in the news and politics.

• TheeCrazyBethy likes this

818001.png

Please believe / you're beautiful when you're not made up// -kmax

#7 JesseG

JesseG

Almost a Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

I'm on social media all day long. When you are online You have no expectations to privacy 100% of everything you do is recorded. If you think you can hide yourself think again. Facebook was created to be the perfect spying device by all the world's govts.

If you want your privacy don't use any form of technology whatsoever!  No even the phone.

Facebook is not going away anytime soon.

I have not found a platform that can take its place yet.

Google+ is good I love it and my biggest network.

Twitter I use everyday as well.

I'm on many networks.

I will be blogging a lot about them or attempting to blog about them.

I have tried hundreds of social media networks.

Some I like others I don't.

If you don't know about one ask me.

I might have joined it.

Most I never have.

Right now There are over 8k social networks with new ones coming on everyday.   

Edited by JesseG, 17 June 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#8 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

If the government wants me, it'll have no trouble finding me. For anyone else, I like being able to compartmentalize, and choose how much of myself I reveal to unknown parties and how fast. That's part of what screen-names are for. ;)

818001.png

#9 JesseG

JesseG

Almost a Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

If the government wants me, it'll have no trouble finding me. For anyone else, I like being able to compartmentalize, and choose how much of myself I reveal to unknown parties and how fast. That's part of what screen-names are for. ;)

Even with a Screen name a person by reading your posts in time can find where you are at. Watch what you post. Even if you don't use your real name, people can still find you.  Jesse is my real name G. is the beginning of my last name. If you right click your mouse and go down to "Search Google for this picture" You will find me. You can do this with any photo. Google is great for finding info about people. Even those who try to hide their identities.  In the end: What do you want god to see you doing. Good or bad? Does it glorify his name? 

#10 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

I have some differentiation among my screen-names, and a lot of differentiation among my avatars. Most of my avatars are not me. This one is, however, a picture drawn by me, and might be able to lead to either art gallery accounts or to the photo it was based on, which is of an actor from an old show I like to watch. I doubt that you could find all of my accounts, at least rapidly or easily, unless you were very interested in stalking me. ;)

I do not hide my identities because of God, Jesse. He already knows perfectly well everything He wants to know about me. ;) I hide because sometimes humans, even among "His people," can be jerks! I would not like anyone who disagrees with my opinions harming me or someone close to me or realistically threatening to do so, and sometimes I'd rather reveal things to people in "real life" slowly, as I learn to trust them, rather than handing them all of my opinions, thoughts, and feelings from accross my entire internet-using life on a platter first thing.

Perhaps I am a bit cynical, or perhaps not. I have known people who have been threatened by those using stalkerish behavior, and some people who turned out to engage in such themselves.

818001.png

#11 Tomm

Tomm

admin

• Administrators
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

I find myself using Facebook less all the time, but i do use it.

The more the know-it-alls in charge mess with what and who I can see on my page, the more it irritates me.

Its usefull for keeping up with friends and family, but it gets so cold to me at times.

I have been disabled for a couple years now, and I crave real  human face to face contact.

As far as Twitter and some of the others I just cant find a use for them.

Lets meet at the fence in the back yard and talk like the old days, no hashtags needed

• StormsCease//Hannah likes this
When thou prayest,
Better it be that your heart be without words...
That your words be without heart

#12 dermasse

dermasse

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm on FB almost everyday. I keep in touch with people from my hometown, high school and the Air Force as well as family. I do a lot of political debating with social liberals who are friends of friends. Because of my intelligence position in the Air Force and the fact that I pay taxes, the government knows all about me. I never post pictures of my children though. I will refer to them occasionally, but I have never placed a picture of them online.

#13 JesseG

JesseG

Almost a Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm on FB almost everyday. I keep in touch with people from my hometown, high school and the Air Force as well as family. I do a lot of political debating with social liberals who are friends of friends. Because of my intelligence position in the Air Force and the fact that I pay taxes, the government knows all about me. I never post pictures of my children though. I will refer to them occasionally, but I have never placed a picture of them online. 

Do we have a base on the dark side of the moon? 

#14 dermasse

dermasse

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Sorry Jesse, I cannot confirm or deny that.

• ThankfulHeart Gael likes this

#15 JesseG

JesseG

Almost a Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Sorry Jesse, I cannot confirm or deny that.

So, we do! 

#16 Guest_Pleistenes_*

Guest_Pleistenes_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

I've been thinking about this for a while. Who still uses Facebook or has ever used it? It seems that less and less people are using it these days. Do you think Facebook is for those of yesterday? And if so, what's the new social media site to gain everyone's attention?

Me sa mother uses it.

#17 ThatChristianNerd91

ThatChristianNerd91

Almost a Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPulaski, NY

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

I used to use Facebook all the time but I have since left because I find it to be nothing but drama and trouble. I think a lot of people are leaving for these reasons as well. It just seems every time you look at your live feed, there's always some sort of disgusting post, vulgar post, or even drama filled post. I find Facebook to be pointless. I currently use Twitter and about 6 different Christian social networks because i have more control over who I follow and who's posts I can see or not see. The good thing about Twitter and the other Christian social networks is you don't see status posts from friends of friends like you do on Facebook. So you're getting a lot less drama in your life. I believe Facebook is on the verge of "Death" so to speak where no one uses it just like Myspace went through. There are so many other fulfilling and more family friendly social networks out there and more people are searching them out not only for themselves but for their family members which is the way it should be :)

If anyone is interested in finding a more healthy alternative to Facebook here is the list of sites I use and they're like Facebook so you get the Facebook-like experience with a more healthy and more uplifting environment:

Christianfaithbook

netbelievers

faith-space

faithbook.fowc

holypal

twitter

and of course, faithfreaks

• Onefinefeller likes this

To live is Christ, to die is gain Philippians 1:21 ♥

#18 BrandonB94

BrandonB94

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

I used to use Facebook all the time but I have since left because I find it to be nothing but drama and trouble. I think a lot of people are leaving for these reasons as well. It just seems every time you look at your live feed, there's always some sort of disgusting post, vulgar post, or even drama filled post. I find Facebook to be pointless. I currently use Twitter and about 6 different Christian social networks because i have more control over who I follow and who's posts I can see or not see. The good thing about Twitter and the other Christian social networks is you don't see status posts from friends of friends like you do on Facebook. So you're getting a lot less drama in your life. I believe Facebook is on the verge of "Death" so to speak where no one uses it just like Myspace went through. There are so many other fulfilling and more family friendly social networks out there and more people are searching them out not only for themselves but for their family members which is the way it should be :)

If anyone is interested in finding a more healthy alternative to Facebook here is the list of sites I use and they're like Facebook so you get the Facebook-like experience with a more healthy and more uplifting environment:

Christianfaithbook
netbelievers
faith-space
faithbook.fowc
holypal
twitter

Thanks, I'll definitely check these out.
  • Onefinefeller and ThatChristianNerd91 like this

Romans 8: 38 - 39 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

#19 Guest_Olivia_Holt_*

Guest_Olivia_Holt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:06 AM

Personally, I use pretty much ALL of the social media crazes! I love FB, and don't really think it's becoming any less popular...I just think other sites/apps such as Instagram and Twitter are becoming more and more popular. But, personally, I don't think FB will/already has take(n) the back seat in the world of social media...that, my friends, would be mySpace... :P

#20 JesseG

JesseG

Almost a Faithful Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Christianfaithbook

netbelievers

faith-space

faithbook.fowc

holypal

twitter

Now how many of those are you personally on? 

I am on:

1. Faithfreaks

2. Heavenup.com

3. Mychurchcircle.com

Now for gaming communities 

1. CGalliance.org is the largest of its kind on the web. They pretty much play all games on the market that are both kid and adult friendly.

They put a Christian twist with the different Christian Gaming clans.

Other Christian gaming clans meet under CGAlliance forums as well.

They do have weekly ministry times as well. 

On twitter I have a account called @gen123_john316 for Christian/gospel only related posts.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users