#21 Bethany

Bethany

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:05 PM

The Bait of Satan, John Bevere

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

#22 Onefinefeller

Onefinefeller

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Bait of Satan? What is the book about?

#23 Bethany

Bethany

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

It's about how satan uses offense to keep Christians from hearing God. It's a very good book

• Onefinefeller likes this

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

#24 Onefinefeller

Onefinefeller

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

I just requested it from our public library. It does look like a fine book to read!

It reminds me of the Screwtape Letters. by C.S. Lewis.

#25 Bethany

Bethany

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

It's quite different from that actually. Perhaps certain aspects are similar.  The main point is for Christians to stop being offended, and really obey God and love people.

#26 Onefinefeller

Onefinefeller

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

I will read it. =)

• Bethany likes this

#27 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

It's been too long since I've really gotten into a book. Lately I've hardly opened one that wasn't a textbook. I have some scifi and historical fiction calling my name once the semester is over...

818001.png

Please believe / you're beautiful when you're not made up// -kmax

#28 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:00 PM

Currently reading:

-The Anne of Green Gables collection for myself - we're up to World War 1, and seeing the characters react to that has been interesting to say the least

-One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, a Soviet-era Russian novel about life in the gulag, for a History class book-report

818001.png

#29 Onefinefeller

Onefinefeller

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

If your interested in a real eyewitness to life in a Soviet gulag; not a novel. I suggest "The Gulag Archipelago" Volumes 1-4 by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Heavy reading; but well worth the effort.  

• Brightie likes this

#30 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

If your interested in a real eyewitness to life in a Soviet gulag; not a novel. I suggest "The Gulag Archipelago" Volumes 1-4 by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Heavy reading; but well worth the effort.  

Am interested, on my own time. Wasn't assigned by my teacher. :)

Same author. Denisovich was (quite controversially) published in the Soviet Union while this stuff was still going down.

Also, teacher is an immigrant from a former Soviet Union country, had parents and grandparents effected, as a historian has some knowledge of country's history, seemed to think book was a fairly accurate picture.

818001.png

#31 Protoman24

Protoman24

Almost an Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMeansville GA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

Some Susan Jacoby, namely her book on the history of the American freethinkers movement called fittingly enough "Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism". Also enjoyed her bio of Robert G. Ingersoll "The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought".

Other than that a few comic strip reprint books and a LOT of books on the American Civil War the best of the lot being "The Civil War" by Bruce Catton and "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War" by Ned Bradford.

#32 Brightie

Brightie

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:21 AM

Still working on the Anne collection, working on an anthology of mysteries by various authors (currently in the Sherlock Holmes part), just finished a novel involving dragons and a friend's self-published poetry volume.

818001.png

#33 zomok

zomok

Not Such a Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

I practically have my own library.  I favor books of an apologetic nature (defending the faith).  Right now beside me is "What's so great about God" by Dinesh D'souza..

#34 Onefinefeller

Onefinefeller

Faithful Power User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:22 AM

So do I.

#35 zomok

zomok

Not Such a Newbie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

Jesus on Trial by David Limbaugh.  Mr. Limbaugh is a lawyer that affirms the Gospel and it's historical truth.  Some do not like truth, but the gospel is truth. This is a library checkout and is about 405 pages with many notes and references..

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whats, everyone, reading, now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users